Top 5 resources to secure your dream internship
Undergraduate students are often lectured on the importance of finding an internship. Not only does an internship provide experience in a specific field, but it allows you to question whether you are pursuing a path that best suits you, prior to actually being thrown out into the real world; thus when graduation rolls around and job searches become more important than ever, you will feel confident in your career choice. It allows for networking, hands-on experience and an opportunity for a letter of recommendation. Further, it gives the in’s and out’s of a specific field of interest while still learning about it. Although all internships may provide valuable learning opportunities, here are a few resources to make sure you get it right the first time:
1) CavLink Search for part-time or full-time jobs, internships, and externships not only in Charlottesville, but also all around the world! After creating an in-depth profile, CavLink matches you up with jobs deemed most suitable, while also allowing you to view all other opportunities by location proximity, potential wages, job description and requirements.
2) University Internship Program at UVa UIP, a program under the Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service, has a list of available internships, as well as internship recruitment for the academic year and summer sessions, where you are matched with the internship that is tailored to your individual goals and needs by a professional career counselor. Bonus: You also gain college credit for your work!
3) University Career Services Clues you into upcoming events, career panels, offers resume writing workshops, internship and job fairs, and other opportunities to gain internships and network with potential employers.
- Offers valuable tips that may otherwise be unknown, such as the fact that an unpaid internship does not necessarily translate into “no pay!” Scholarships, listed on UCS, are widely available for those who have secured internships for the next academic year, the summer and even abroad!
- Registration to MyUCS allows access to internship-related subscription services via your UVa computing ID, which would otherwise be fee-based!
- View the calendar here or subscribe to the listserv @ email@example.com
4) Webinar Library Webinars hosted by UVa alumni who have experience in your specific field are open to all UVa students at no charge. Register for upcoming webinars here. View the webinar library to watch previous webinars online.
5) Outside resources
By: Kiana Williams
Work with us!
Interested in joining our team of writers in 2018-19? Apply for our internship now! Applications are due March 1st.