Letter from the Editor

February 12, 2019
Outline of a pink heart with the words "U R Cool"
Art by Kirsten Hemrich

January has come and gone, February is upon us, and Iris is back with a new edition.

It’s truly a miracle we have already made it this far in 2019, and we’re only getting started. It’s time to reflect on what we’ve accomplished thus far. Some of us have held on to our resolutions, but most of us have already decided that 2020 will just have to be our year. And that’s really ok. Because being successful in absolutely every thing that we do is simply not possible on our journey, but forgiveness and the ability to accept ourselves as we are line our path. If I had a dollar for every time I told myself I wouldn’t eat out, or that I would skip my weekly trip to the Whole Foods Hot Bar, I would have enough money to actually buy Whole Foods from Jeff Bezos himself. But I’ll never be able to do this because there’s nothing I love more than balsamic marinated tofu next to some piping hot, free-range, fried chicken.

This edition speaks to the flaws in all of us, the parts of us that give us character and keep us from the mediocrity that is perfection. Laura shares her personal struggle with "self care," reminding us that there is no one way to show ourselves love. Maeve brings us a beautiful poem that invites us to examine how we find the beauty in every individual we meet. Marwah gives us a narrative of love and friendship with a moving poem filled with powerful imagery and honesty. And Bel shares a story of a personal struggle, love and understanding in the face of opposing political ideologies.

Life is truly crazy. One day you’re drinking four bottles of water a day, paying your rent on time, and actually waking up every morning at 7 am. Then, life happens, and the next day you’ve spent $64 on seltzer, Diet Coke, and Skittles after passing out at a screening of Avengers: Infinity War. But that’s really ok, because life has to reach a trough before it can move back up to the crest. Forgive yourself, cry in the shower, and move on to bigger and better things.

Post new comment

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Join the 2019-20 Iris Team!